You may have seen them in your travels....silently watching over a collection of brocante items lovingly arranged atop tables and shelves in a rustic French Provincial farmhouse.
Thet are called Santos cage dolls and are enthusiastically sought after by collectors and designers who want to add old world style and character to their homes.
Originally started as copies of 17th century carvings by priests and called saint dolls or Santons in French, Santibelli in Italian and Santos in Spanish, cage dolls are primarily associated with the Italian and French Cre`che (nativity and crib scenes). They were used as forms for decorating the Cre`che and are still elaborately displayed in Italy and in the Provence area of France.
The term cage-doll is due to the bottom portion of the body resembling a cage.
- Skillfully hand made and fashioned after antique originals - Amelie is carved from wood and delicately handpainted.
- 60cm (h)
About Ateliers de Theirs collections:
- Inspired by antiques, exquisiteness and ornamentation.
- Sought for its uniqueness, bought for its beauty and charm.
- Reproduction and interpretations of old, antique hand made decorative accessories, gifts and objects.
- Judiciously passed to the next generation, heirlooms of the future.